After a very difficult and inconclusive meeting in ABNT (Brazilian Technical Standards Organization) office last tuesday, the standards process director had to analyze the audio recording of all the meeting, review some facts, review again all 63+2 comments produced by the technical group about the ECMA specification, and conclude that a NO for OOXML is the correct position for Brazil in ISO Fast Track process.
Brazil will fill the ISO form with a NO and will attach the 63+2 technical comments to it.
Shame on you, ECMA. Your position as a trusted standards organization was severely damaged.
In my opinion, the YES-voting countries are not reading the OOXML specification, are making a pure political decision or simply don’t have a standardization process. This is not to mention that they completely ignored the fact that a similar standard — ODF — already exists. Neither is the case of Brazil and our ABNT.
Countries that will absent their vote probably had a tough time in the decision process with a lot of conflicts between political ramblings and technical facts. This was almost the case for Brazil and our ABNT, but we got the courage to do the right thing.
In parallel, ABNT is turning the OpenDocument Format into a national standard and will adopt and promote as it is: a truly open, universal and independent format for digital documents.
This is a happy day.
Media news that link here (a.k.a. egotrip):
- Linux Today: India and Brazil Vote No on OOXML
- ZDNet: Brazil says ‘no’ to Office Open XML
- ZDNet: Microsoft’s OOXML ‘choice’ argument squashed
- Network World: Brazil votes down Open Office XML
- Netscape: Brazil Says NO to OOXML [and India Says NO As Well]
- BR-Linux: ABNT diz NÃO: Brasil recomenda rejeição ao OOXML como padrão ISO
- Reactions on Technorati
Links to other sources:
- Jomar “Homembit” Silva: Saiu o resultado: Não com comentários técnicos…
- Cezar Taurion: ABNT diz “NO” : uma decisão lógica
- ComputerWorld: Decisão do Brasil em relação ao OpenXML é lógica, diz IBM
- B2B Magazine: Brasil reprova Open XML
- TI Inside Online: Padrão Open XML da Microsoft é rejeitado pela ABNT
- Info Online: Brasil dirá não ao Open XML na ISO, diz ABNT
- Gazeta Mercantil: Brasil votará contra padrão da Microsoft
- Valor Econômico: Padrão da Microsoft sofre derrota no Brasil (com senha)
- IDG Now: Microsoft perde votação importante para padronização do padrão Open XML
- IDG Now: ODF x OpenXML: entenda a importância dos formatos de documentos